Would you (or someone you know):
- love working with kids of all ages this summer?
- enjoy engaging with kids, specifically in the area of preventing summer learning loss?
- commit to 10 weeks of service, starting June 1st?
- be a great team player on this year’s The Bridge’s Summer Team?
- be able to be flexible, enthusiastic, and positive in face of challenges and long days?
- benefit from food and housing allowance in addition to an educational scholarship/cash stipend?
More information and an application will be available soon.Please email email@example.com to put your name on the list of those interested in this opportunity!*
*Please note, a position on The Bridge Summer Team is available through AmeriCorps. Individuals will apply through AmeriCorps first, then will be directed to The Bridge for approval by the Personnel committee. The allowance and stipend is covered by AmeriCorps as well.
Important Information (as provided by Iowa Campus Connect)
Iowa Campus Compact
Iowa Campus Compact (IACC) is a statewide association of college and university presidents who are committed to fulfilling the public and civic purposes of higher education by educating students for active citizenship and building strong communities. We have 22 member campuses in Iowa. Dr. Ashley Farmer-Hansen at Buena Vista University has been instrumental in connecting The Bridge with AmeriCorps.
Overview of the Summer Associate Program
The AmeriCorps VISTA program also has a Summer Associate component, a short-term service opportunity during the summer months. The Summer Associate program enhances an existing AmeriCorps VISTA project by providing individuals that will participate for 10 weeks in an intensive level of summer service. During service, Summer Associates are available to the community on a full-time basis which is described by Congress as “24 hours a day, 7 days a week.” This means that the Summer Associate should be available as deemed necessary by the sponsoring agency, for the project, without regard to standard working hours. As a Summer Associate, your contributions will have an actual and credible impact on summer learning loss for Iowa youth.
• Summer Associates must be at least 18 years of age at the time of placement
• Be a U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident
• Able to commit and serve on a full-time basis for 10 weeks
• Not listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Website
Benefits and Support
In addition to making a credible effort to help people and communities escape poverty, Summer
Associates receive benefits and support during and after successful completion of summer service.
Associates are eligible to receive:
• A $1200 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
• On-site orientation and training
• A living allowance to cover necessities during service (approximately $350 paid bi-weekly)
• Access to the AmeriCorps VISTA Alumni network
2014 Summer Team